Blogger Widgets

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

REVIEW: The Map of Time

The Map of Time tells three interconnecting stories that center around the use and discussion of time travel. H.G. Wells' most recent novel The Time Machine and the recent opening of Murray's Time Travel Company, time travel is on the minds of everyone. Murray's Time Travel offers those who can pay the steep price a trip to the year 2000 to watch the final battle between the humans and the automatons.

In the first story we are introduced Andrew, who fell in love with the prostitute Mary Kelly. Mary Kelly is then killed by Jack the Ripper and Andrew spends eight years severely depressed. On the eve of her murder, Andrew decides to commit suicide in her old apartment, only to be stopped by his cousin Charles. Charles proposes that they go to Murray's Time Travel and try to convince Murray to take them back in time to save Andrew's love.

In the second story, we follow Claire, a young woman who feels like she is out of place in her time period. When her friend Lucy proposes that they go on Murray's Second Journey to the year 2000 she decides that no only will she go but she will stay there. During her trip to the year 2000, Claire falls in love with the leader of the humans Captain Derek Shackleton. But there seems to be more to this future then first meets the eye. How can Claire continue her romance with a man who isn't even born in her time period yet?

The final story centers around H.G. Wells, as he tries to stop a time traveller form destroying famous pieces of literature.

The cover also deserves to be looked at. I really like it, it mixes Victorian-Gentlemen- class with Steampunk making you wonder exactly what is going on in this book. I borrowed this book from a friend, and was there when she bought it. The cover caught her eye... yes sometimes we do judge books by their covers. I know. It's bad.

What I liked about this book was how the stories intertwined so well. I liked how it established the different characters and then referenced them throughout the rest of the novel. I was more drawn to the last two stories then the first. The middle story being my favourite narrative wise, while the final story was better character and theme wise. The thing about this book is that it is super heavy (literally and figuratively). I'm a pretty fast reader, but I found myself having a hard time reading it. I was enjoying it immensely... but it did not matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't get through it. It seemed like the author was adding pages as I read it. Finally one afternoon I sat down and just powered through 300 pages and was done with the book.

So if you love the Victorian Era or even just Victorian Fiction, you might be interested in this book. If you loved H.G. Wells' Time Machine definitely give this book a read. This book is the perfect cross of historical-fiction and science-fiction.

This book has motivated me to re-read The Time Machine this summer. So there will be more on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment